Friday, February 4, 2011

#284 Creativity

If you’ve been reading this blog all along, you’ll know I belong to a book club. I’ve had several posts inspired by the books we’ve read and our discussions, including ones on “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin and “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot. We had another meeting this week and discussed a book that I never would have guessed would have inspired a blog post, “Just Kids” by Patti Smith.




“Just Kids” is a memoir about the relationship between Patti Smith (the rocker) and Robert Mapplethorpe (the photographer) before they were famous, and even before they had truly discovered their art forms. In truth, it’s not a book I enjoyed very much, I had trouble connecting to the characters, but I seem to be in the minority—at least in my book club. We did, however, have a very stimulating discussion about it which, after all, is the point.



I think all of us were a little jealous of the fount of creativity that both Smith and Mapplethorpe were able to muster, and that they didn’t let anything get in their way, not poverty or hunger or sexuality or rejection. They found a way to make things happen. Of course, they didn’t have kids or mortgages like most of us do.



One of our members asked if there is a way to be creative, to find that inspiration among other artists, even while living and maintaining a suburban life. It’s not that we don’t like our lives; it’s just that we want more. Who doesn’t? I think this is one of the reasons there are so many 30-something mommy bloggers out there.



I think that if anyone could answer that question it would have been Eric. Granted, he didn’t have kids or a mortgage, but he still maintained a career and went to school and paid the rent all the while writing a book of poetry, designing a dress, rock climbing and more. A true Renaissance man. It’s a pity we no longer have his input, although I’m not sure he would be able to articulate how he did it all, he just did.



Eric, I’m grateful to you for helping me find this creative outlet in my otherwise typical (though wonderful) suburban life. I just wish I had found it for another reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment