Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#295 Life Isn't Fair

Life isn’t fair. I know this. I try to teach my boys this, although it will be many years before they finally get it, if ever. Still, sometimes you have to wonder.




Here’s Eric, doing everything he can to be healthy, eating right, exercising and bam, he’s gone, out of nowhere.



Then there’s Charlie Sheen, doing everything he can not to be healthy and not caring about the consequences. In an interview with Dan Patrick yesterday he said life was boring without alcohol and drugs and that crack use is ok if you can manage it socially.



Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wish anything bad to happen to Charlie Sheen or anyone else, I just don’t understand. And I’m never going to be able to understand and it’s hard to come to terms with that.



It also makes it hard to do what I know is right in my own life. Why eat right and watch my weight if there is no certainty it’s going to do anything for me? Why not just enjoy the chocolate and Cheetos and live a life of hedonistic pleasure since we never know when it’s going to end anyway?



That’s the conundrum. To play by the rules sacrificing some pleasures in the hopes of gaining longevity and the ability to enjoy it, or taking what you can when you can before the time runs out.



Balance is probably the key. Here’s hoping we can all find some.

No comments:

Post a Comment