Sunday, February 20, 2011

#300 Tough Guy Tattoo

My 7-year-old learned to ride a bicycle today. It was really exciting. He has had the bike for over a year, and when he got it he didn’t want any training wheels, but today is the first day he has figured it out. To be fair, his practice sessions have been few and far between. We live on a hill and until he can really ride, it’s not a great place for bikes. Put that together with weather issues, busy schedules and us forgetting about the bike, and it’s been a while since we’ve taken him out regularly.




My husband took him out a few weekends ago and even with the requisite helmet, my son was too scared to really attempt to ride. He didn’t want to try again until he had knee and elbow pads. He’s not the bravest of children…. So after purchasing “Cars” knee pads, elbow pads and gloves, they went to try it again. And lo and behold he got the hang of it! He even fell and scraped his chest and my husband convinced him it was a “tough guy tattoo” and now he’s proud of his wound.



I remember learning to ride a two-wheeler and the confidence and independence that came with that skill. I don’t remember when Eric learned to ride, but I do remember our family bike rides around town. For a while we went every night after dinner. Maybe that’s something we’ll do when our boys are older.



I also remember laughing with Eric about the proposed requirements for bike helmets. We didn’t think that would ever happen. No child would wear one, it was just too uncool. Little did we know…. Now, as a mother, I won’t let my kid on a bike without one.



And then my kid one-upped me by asking for extra protection. If he doesn’t care then neither do I—better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment