Wednesday, July 7, 2010

#73 Benji


Meet Benji.

Benji is a stuffed soldier that was with Eric for most of his life. I believe Benji was given to Eric by our Aunt. I’m not sure how he got his name except that maybe the movie “Private Benjamin” came out around that time and we associated the name with a soldier. Benji lived in Eric’s room as a child and a teenager. When Eric and my parents moved to Asia, Benji went too. I don’t know if Benji went to college with Eric, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if he did. Benji’s latest home is my parent’s guest room.

Along the way Benji has accumulated clothing and accessories. I’m sure my mother made him the jeans he is wearing and the bathrobe repurposed from an old pair of footie pajamas. Under the robe he is wearing a t-shirt that says “Benji” in green puff paint that looks too neat to have been done by Eric. I wonder if I did that.

Of course we can’t overlook his latest accessory; the ultra-chic bowtie. Eric went through a very dapper phase (most of his adult life) and was buying clothes from Thomas Pink’s when I was rationing myself at the bookstore. The logical place for a cast-off bowtie would be around Benji’s neck.

I suppose most kids have a “friend” like Benji that they hang onto. My boys both have stuffed animals they claim they cannot sleep without. My 3 year old’s lambie even seems to be able to cure boo-boos. There is something to be said for the comfort and security of a long known pal. Of course we grow up and move on, but there is always a place in our hearts for the Benjis of our lives.

I think we all assumed that one day Benji would get passed down to a little Eric. That, of course, will not happen now. No one ever assumed that Benji would outlive Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment