Wednesday, February 2, 2011

#282 1977

I was falling asleep to my usual roster of crime shows last night when one happened to mention the year 1977. That’s the year Eric was born. It made me think that I haven’t explored what was going on in the year of his birth for a blog topic yet. Yes, I do find myself constantly thinking in terms of blog topics now, that’s what happens when you try to write one everyday.




So this morning I went to Wikipedia and looked up 1977. Of course, a lot of things happened that year, but there are some that are surprisingly connected to Eric. For example, in January of that year the world’s first personal computer, the Commodore PET was demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago, and the first one was sold in September. Also in January, Apple Inc. was incorporated and their first computers also went on sale in June.



The bacteria causing Legionnaires’ disease was identified that year, important to us only because my family later stayed in the legendary hotel in Philadelphia where the disease arose. It was disease free when we stayed there.



The sci-fi movie The Hobbit premiered on American television that year, something Eric truly would have appreciated. And even more appropriate, Star Wars debuted that year.



David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) was captured and Elvis Presley died that year, big events, but not really related to Eric.



But Squidward Tentacles, SpongeBob Squarepants’s clarinet playing next-door neighbor was born that year (oddly enough on the same day my second son was born) and I know that would have meant a lot to Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment