Monday, February 14, 2011

#294 Showers

I just had a wonderful baby shower at work. I have amazing co-workers and they really went all out. The cake was beautiful (and yummy), the gifts were adorable and useful and the well wishes made my day. It was supposed to be a surprise, but someone told me by accident last week. That was ok by me as it gave me something to look forward to all weekend.




I was thinking about it and wondering why we call it a shower. That made me think that Eric would have a field day with that. Of course it’s not my first shower, I had one for my wedding and for my other sons, and I take one everyday. I’d be surprised if Eric hadn’t commented on it in the past, but I don’t remember him doing so.



I can imagine him scoffing at the word and wondering why not a baby bath or a baby bidet? Are you really showered with gifts? Why not a baby drizzle or a baby downpour? He, of course, would have much funnier phrasing and ideas than I do.



Well, Eric, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia no one really knows where the term comes from, but it may have originated with a Victorian custom of putting the gifts in a parasol so when it was opened the recipient was literally showered with gifts. One the one hand, where is my parasol?? On the other hand, ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment