Monday, February 21, 2011

#301 Singularity

Eric was hugely interested in science fiction and artificial intelligence. What would he have thought, I wonder, about Watson’s huge win on Jeopardy!? (Watson being a computer)




I just read an article in Time magazine on the Singularity movement, the idea that men and machine will converge in just a few decades. Or maybe that machine will take over completely. Then there are the people who view humans as little more than complex machines and believe that eternal life is possible if you can only root out all of the bugs and apply the appropriate patches.



All of this is fascinating, if hard for me to take in. I am not a technological whiz. Sure I can facebook and email and use my new iPhone; but I am not an early adopter and I really don’t use the devices I have to their fullest potential.



I will probably be one of the people left behind when the computers take over; I just won’t be able to keep up.



I wonder how this will affect my life and the lives of my children. And I’m sorry that Eric isn’t here to debate it all with me because he would undoubtedly be more informed than I am and have some concrete opinions about it. Whereas I am just going to watch and wait. Unless the computers make me do something…..

No comments:

Post a Comment