Sunday, January 30, 2011

#279 Happy Birthday to my Husband

Today is my husband’s birthday. Happy birthday to the man who makes everything possible for me. As he so astutely pointed out at dinner last night he has been with me through applying to medical school, medical school itself, the residency match, residency, fellowship, and the craziness that was me studying for my boards. Along the way we have had 2 (and a half) kids, moved twice, and had many, many experiences together. There are many things I don’t think I could have made it through without him, Eric’s death being right at the top of the list.




That said, Eric’s death was incredibly hard for him as well. They were very close, really more brothers than brothers-in-law. They really got each other.



A couple of years ago for my husband’s birthday Eric sent an interesting gift. Eric had a habit of giving out there gifts, things that someone somewhere might want or find useful, just not us. For example he once gave me a wool hat with attached braids and he didn’t mean it as a gag gift. This particular year my husband opened his gift to find a box advertising shoes that help with the yard work. There were rake, brush and even snow shovel attachments for the shoes. The box sang the praises of the shoes including first person testimonials. We thought it was a little odd, but pure Eric. I mean who else could even find something like that?



The gift only got better when we opened the box. There was a huge inside flap that said “Gotcha!” The whole thing was a joke. You can see it here http://www.amazon.com/Kleen%1AStride-Personal-Debris-Removal-System/dp/B001N7Z6IA I laughed as hard as I have ever laughed in my life. It was hysterical. Inside the box was a video game for my husband and a t-shirt of Eric’s he had used for padding. We kept the box and used it on a gift for my husband’s brother. We also kept the shirt and I actually brought it to Las Vegas with me to give back to him last December.



I know my husband misses Eric, maybe even as much as I do. But today, we’re not going to dwell on that. Today we’re going to have cake and give gifts and celebrate. Today is for my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment