Friday, January 7, 2011

#256 Shipping

I have to start this blog with an apology to my mother. Sorry, but hopefully this will make you laugh.




One of the ways my family bonds is by making fun of my mother. I have to say she is an amazing sport; I probably couldn’t take half of the teasing she does.



When Eric and I were learning about world religions in middle or high school we somehow turned it around so that she had to learn it and it has become tradition for us to make her recite the 5 pillars of Islam at random times. I must say, none of us have ever forgotten them.



We used to make fun of her for asking over and over and over again if we had any homework and if so if it was done. I now know she was just looking out for us and trying to do a million other things at the same time. I get it now.



One of the biggest things Eric and I would share laughter over was her abhorrence of shipping costs. Her mother doesn’t like to pay for long distance telephone calls (even though that’s pretty much a thing of the past now) and mine doesn’t like to pay for shipping. When I was in college I got care packages with rice cakes and helium balloons—really cheap to ship!



If Eric and I shipped things to each other we didn’t tell her….we wanted to avoid a diatribe on shipping costs.



There is a certain kind of pen that I like to use. My husband makes fun of me because I have gone on a seemingly endless search for the perfect pen and I like only one kind of cheap pen. It’s not a Mont Blanc, it’s a Uni-ball Deluxe micro with black ink. But of course, I can never find it in stock anywhere. These are the pens I use at work and I really hate to use any other. I’m running out so I started looking for some and as usual struck out. We get free shipping on most items from Amazon so I looked there, but they only carry blue and red ink. Staples and Office Max have them on their websites, but not in stock in the store. Why? I have no idea. I hate the idea of paying $20.00 for a box of 12 pens and then having to pay $10 in shipping. I mean I really hate it, but I really need these pens!



Today I found a way to circumvent the shipping charge. I ordered the pens to be delivered to my local Staples where I can go pick them up. Ha!



I guess I’m turning into my mother after all.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny! Recently I needed printer ink for a picture maker. I can only find the ink which comes with sheets of photo paper. I bought it that way once because I needed it. This time was the same.. I had to buy a combo with paper. I DON'T NEED ANY MORE PAPER. I was at walmart and asked if I could order it. The clerk said I could order it through Walmart, send it to my home and only pay 98 cents for shipping, or I could send it to walmart and pick it up there. Problem solved, no more unneeded photo paper and no huge shipping charges...yea!!!!

    ReplyDelete