Thursday, January 20, 2011

#269 Novel?

Eric was an amateur novelist. He had been working on a science fiction novel and I actually don’t know if he ever finished it. A little over a year ago I decided I was going to try my hand at writing a mystery novel. I figured I have read enough of them, surely I could write one. It’s not quite that easy, there’s a little thing called plot that has to be figured out…




Eric advised me to map out the story on white boards and that I would need about 100,000 words to make it novel length. I ignored his advice and just started writing. For a while it went well, but then I got stuck and I haven’t even looked at it for months on end. I think he was right, I should probably go and map out my plans for the book, but even that sounds too daunting now. Besides, I am getting my writing fix here, everyday.



Many of you have encouraged me to make this blog into a book and I would dearly love to do that. I have a friend who has sent me an example of a book proposal and maybe someday I’ll have time to work on it. (Thanks S!)



Out of curiosity today I checked the word count on the document where I keep all of these posts. Today’s blog included there are 92,187 words. Looks like I’ll make it to novel length and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth and family .... from New Zealand..

    Hi Liz, after 269 entries I have only just found you and am working my way through your 92,000 words to catch up!

    Finding your wonderful words and memories about Eric has been such a special find today, and my eldest boy Blake (who simply adored Eric)and I have been working through the pages of wonderful memories and thoughts.

    We miss him so much and he is always in our thoughts, our conversations and our hearts. I smiled at your post regarding the All Black T.shirts that Eric sent back to the USA for your wee boys. He did the reverse here, sending my boys their own "real" FBI t.shirts which although now a little short on them, are worn with such pride and "Eric gave it to me!" They think they are the real thing!

    We met Eric towards the end of his stay here in NZ, but like many he had such a profound effect on us and snuck his way into our hearts to stay there forever.

    Our times together at Outward Bound were the most amazing, he filled our days with fun, stories and laughter and didnt complain when we tricked him into eating marmite!

    The play he wrote for us for our final night at Outward Bound was just wonderful, and we were all amazed at his ability to just get writing and come up with so many funny lines - a true story teller.....

    We will love him and miss him always, but it's nice to know I can find a little bit of him here.

    With all our love
    Elizabeth and family xx

    ReplyDelete