Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#261 Six Degrees of Separation

I was having trouble sleeping last night and I started thinking about Eric. That led me to thinking about Katie and I started wondering if there were other significant relationships in my life that I would have missed out on if not for Eric. And there are.




When Eric was 13 and had his Bar Mitzvah, he had no interest in the typical party that goes with it. Instead, he wanted to go to Egypt. My parents agreed to this as long as he would agree to have his Bar Mitzvah in Israel and he did. So we went on a tour of Israel and he had his Bar Mitzvah on top of Masada, a truly incredible experience. (As was our subsequent trip to Egypt) The tour and Bar Mitzvah were organized by a company who had lots of families who wanted to do the same thing. Therefore, the tour buses were organized by the age and gender of the siblings. Smart company! So we were on the 16 year old girl bus. On that bus I met two great friends, one of whom became my best friend in high school. We lost touch over the years, but recently have gotten back in touch through facebook. It’s amazing how that friendship is still there.



Through her, I met the guy I dated my senior year of high school. Again, we are now back in touch through facebook.



None of that would have happened without Eric.



Eric didn’t introduce me to my husband, but he did approve, and that made a huge difference to me. When we got engaged Eric told my parents he was relieved because he wouldn’t have to choose between us. (We all know he would have chosen me! Right?) His approval was not necessary, but was a sign that I was indeed making the right decision.



I’m sure there are ways he touched and changed my life that I haven’t thought of and may never become aware. I am grateful for all of them, known and unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment