Tuesday, January 11, 2011

#260 Building Frenzy

Lego fever may have finally reached our house. My oldest son got two sets of Legos for his birthday. I anticipated that the boxes would sit unopened until eventually I secreted them out of his room and donated them, but thanks in great part to our snow day this did not happen.




As anticipated, the boys lasted for about 15 minutes in the snow. Granted, the older one injured his lip (he’s fine) and neither one has water proof gloves, but they quickly got their fill of snow and whined incessantly for the whole three minutes it took me to make the hot chocolate about how cold they were. Thank God for microwaves.



Since ventures outside were over I was trying to come up with ways to entertain the boys that did not involve that big black box on the wall. The four year old took a nice long nap (he has a cold and boy did he need it!), so the seven year old and I cracked open the Legos. It took him awhile to get into it, while I got increasingly frustrated both by the fact that I was doing most of the building and that I was having trouble following the sketchy directions…but eventually he started building. He even worked on it without me while I prepped for dinner.



Today the boys are home again and the seven year old has already started back in on the Legos. Of course the four year old wants to build too, but the Legos are really too advanced for him and we can’t find the old Duplo set we used to have…it’s possible I donated that at some point after no one ever played with it. So he’s using Eric’s big cardboard bricks.



It makes me really happy that they are building and enjoying the toys that Eric enjoyed the most. Thank you snow day. Now let’s see how long this lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment