Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#268 Rugby and Baby Clothes

I finally overcame some of my inertia yesterday and started sorting through old baby clothes. I still haven’t managed to go through my boys’ closet, it’s just so big and so packed and so intimidating; but with the baby coming and friends starting to give me clothes I had to do something about the piles in the living room.




I actually didn’t think I had any baby clothes left, I thought I had given away all of my newborn through 2 year old clothes when we thought were done. I was wrong. I ventured into the attic to see what baby items we had and what we would need and found a whole set of plastic Target storage drawers labeled 0-3 months.



Last night I sorted through the clothes I had and a huge bin of clothes that a friend of mine recently gave to me. (Thanks M!) I found the outfits in which my two boys came home from the hospital. I found outfits that the boys were wearing in some of our favorite pictures. I found adorable “new” clothes from my friend that I can’t wait to put on the new baby.



I also found a onesie from the New Zealand All Blacks Rugby Team that Eric sent when my second son was born. Typical of Eric, when he moved to New Zealand he threw himself into all things Kiwi. He became a Rugby fan and quickly adopted the All Blacks as his team. In addition to that onesie we have miniature Rugby balls, larger sizes of All Blacks clothing and some promotional stuffed animals. He also took sailing lessons and learned to ride a motorcycle to travel around the country. Eric only lived there for about 6 months, but I truly feel that he experienced more of New Zealand than someone who might have lived there for years. Definitely more than I would have in that period of time.



While I am infinitely sad that Eric will not know this new child of mine and that he will not know Eric, I’m glad that he will have a gift from Eric that he can wear right away. Eric will influence his life in subtler ways than I might have hoped, but it will still happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment