Monday, January 10, 2011

#259 Snow Day!

We’re having a snow day today. Almost all of us anyway… Neither of my boys have school and my office is closed, but my poor husband who telecommutes most of the time anyway still has to work. Snow doesn’t get you out of walking up the stairs to your computer it seems….




I am faced with the prospect of entertaining 2 stir crazy boys all day. So far they have watched movies and are now trying to play a video game. I say trying based on the amount of frustrated noises and crying I’m hearing from the room they are in. I’m trying not to intervene unless absolutely necessary to preserve my sanity and to teach them conflict resolution. That’s valid, right?



At some point we’ll go out and play in the snow and I do have some cookie dough I purchased from a friend’s daughter in a school fundraiser so we can bake cookies and have hot chocolate to warm up.



When I was with my parents over New Years my mom and I were cooking dinner and she told me about a snow day when Eric and I were kids. My dad had to go to work, so she had us in the house by herself all day. We played outside while she shoveled the driveway and then when we came inside she made fried chicken and cornbread from scratch for dinner. Not even she could believe she actually used to do all of that. Oh, and in case you’ve never seen the house where I grew up, we had an enormous circular driveway.



I’m sure that Eric and I made this very easy for her. We were perfect little angels and never fought or gave her a moment’s trouble.



Actually I think Eric was probably easier on those days than I was. He loved being out in the snow making snow forts and snowmen and having snow ball fights. I loved the idea of it, but then got cold and probably whiny pretty quickly. I can remember what he looked like in the front foyer as we stripped off our snow pants and winter coats, hats and gloves. His red cheeks and eyes shining, his curly hair matted to his head.



Well, I need to go get my boys outside before they kill each other. They are very much like me, a few minutes outside and they’re ready for the hot chocolate. Maybe today they’ll find a spark of Eric’s joy in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment