Monday, January 24, 2011

#273 Word Play

A few days ago I blogged about our new minivan and I am still in love. I love that there are about three or four different ways to open each door, most of which just involve the push of a button. I love the Bluetooth for my cell phone and the interactive in dash navigation system. I love that my kids are still enthralled and feel so special because they “get” to sit in the back row—which is where we want them anyway. I didn’t expect it to make me laugh or remember Eric though. And that’s what happened this morning.




I pulled up at work and pushed the overhead button to open the rear door so I could walk around and get out my work bag. Unfortunately I do still have to do that, it doesn’t bring it around for me…yet…. I happened to glance at the dash and there was little message waiting for me saying “rear gate ajar”. Nothing special there, unless you happen to be a member of my family.



I can remember one family trip that involved a rental car that used to like to speak to us. If someone left a door open it would say “your door is ajar” in a robotic female voice. Eric and I were at just the right ages that this was absolutely hysterical. Our door was not a jar, it was a door. Duh!



I don’t think Eric or I ever got enough of this (although I’m pretty sure my parents did), we wanted doors left open all the time and quoted the voice even when the door wasn’t open.



The only thing that would have made this morning better would have been if the car had spoken to me. But I’m kind of glad it didn’t, otherwise I know we would come full circle and my kids would drive me nuts with it. I appreciated the smile and the memory though.  What's wrong with the word open anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz, we too have just had the fun experience of our car talking to us. We got to use a GPS for the first time in our car, on the trip we took at the weekend to a friend's wedding. To the boys excitement this machine talked to us in a variety of voices which caused huge amusement from the back of the car. We could choose from the American Jill, Australian or English. The American Jill won the show with her incorrect pronunciation of our NZ/Maori street names... lots and lots of giggles. Technology is wonderful and although at first I thought I would hate this GPS thing telling me where it go... it was fantastic and took all the worry out of "where do I go now". Had we had a GPS on Outward Bound with Eric it would have saved hours and hours of going back and forth and up and down the mountain side trying to find the right way, but then we would never have got to listen to Eric's rendition of every American theme song he could recall.... sometimes you don't need technology to spoil things!
    Take care, our of love
    Elizabeth and family , NZ

    ReplyDelete