Thursday, January 13, 2011

#262 Stealing Voices

As faithful readers will know, I am a nighttime crime show aficionado. Every night I fall asleep watching true crime shows. Who knows how this will warp the child I am carrying and the other two who already did this with me. There are so many good crime shows, but for some reason the networks keep finding reason to create more, I guess because there are people like me who will watch them….or at least fall asleep to them.




The latest new one I’ve seen is “stolen voices. buried secrets” on Investigation Discovery. I have to say I am not a fan, and I won't even dwell on my problems with punctuation in TV show titles. The show is narrated by the murder victim as the story of the crime and its resolution are told. I have issue with someone giving voice to the murder victim. I am guessing that the person writing the script never knew the victim and has a rough sketch only of the family dynamics. Of course there are things no one will ever disagree with, such as loving and missing the family left behind, but really, how dare they speak for someone they don’t know? And why do they have to make it so trite? Probably, because they didn’t know the person.



Now Eric wasn’t murdered, but he is still gone. I don’t like putting words in his mouth and I’m his sister: arguably one of the people who knew him best in the world. I can guess what things he would like or not like, but I know that Eric was unpredictable enough that there will be times when I’m wrong. I don’t want to ascribe feelings to him that he wouldn’t have had. How could it possibly be ok for a stranger to do that for him?



I know nothing about the production of this show. I don’t know if they go to the families for input or insight or not. I assume they at least get permission since some family members are interviewed on the show. Still, I wouldn’t want an anonymous writer putting words in Eric’s mouth.



Eric’s past speaks for itself and as for the future, well, he doesn’t have one anymore. Pretending that he does just makes it that much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment