Friday, October 1, 2010

#159 School Days

Eric was a terror in school. Actually he was a terror out of school as well when he was little, but this post is about school. He was always very bright, but not always the best behaved. At then end of every school year my mother would go to a specialty chocolate shop and buy his teacher a big chocolate aspirin with a note that said, “From your headache.”




A couple of nights ago I got a call from my 6 year old’s first grade teacher. Can you believe my pride and joy, my amazing firstborn, my brilliant, self proclaimed genius child is a discipline problem?? It is apparently so.



He talks too much. I have no idea where he gets that from (please insert sarcasm). He talks over the teacher and disrupts the class. She had to move him next to an empty desk to try and cut down on the talking. He also has trouble keeping his hands to himself when walking in the hallways and touches the walls, the bulletin boards and the other students. His teacher didn’t want to always be nagging him and become a negative influence on him, so I guess I have to. After all, that is kind of my job.



As you can imagine, I was mortified to get the phone call, but still glad that she called to tell me what was going on. Now I just have to figure out how to help him behave.



Mom? Any suggestions?



Other than the discipline issues, my son is doing well in school. Academically and socially we have no issues. I guess I’ll just console myself with the thought that even though Eric’s behavior was less than stellar in his grade school years he still made it to Harvard and beyond. Maybe his nephew will too.



After I finish beating him.



Just kidding!  I guess I need to start looking for a specialty chocolate shop....

No comments:

Post a Comment