Sunday, October 17, 2010

#175 Swim meet

I just got back from my 6 year old’s first swim meet and let me say, I could not be prouder. He performed beautifully. He jumped in the water when the buzzer sounded and did his best to get to the other side of the pool. He didn’t come in first, but he didn’t come in last and he had a great time. Every kid got a ribbon with his time written on it so every kid was a winner and it was fabulous. He raced in both free-style and back stroke and it was really cool to watch him be able to do that and enjoy it.




My 4 year old was there “watching”. It’s hard to be my 4 year old sometimes. He gets dragged to a lot of activities that he can’t participate in, much as he would like to. We have endured 2 seasons of tee ball where I chase him all over the complex instead of getting to watch the game and then today he was stuck in a hot indoor pool with nothing to play with but the bleachers. He found something else to play with though. He pulled the camera out of my purse and started taking pictures. It’s a digital camera so I didn’t really care, after all I can always delete the pictures. It’s not like back when we had film. The camera amused him for a quite a while. He took pictures of his brother, of his parents, of the crowd and the ceiling. It was really nice for me, because I didn’t have to chase him anywhere.



At one point I looked over at him playing with the camera and realized, that was Eric’s camera. It was a Chanukah gift from my parents to him last year. I knew that was his camera, but I don’t think about that every time I use it. Today, I did. And I thought about how Eric was once the younger brother who got dragged to everything and probably appreciated it about as much as my 4 year old does. Today it was his possession that amused my son and gave me the ability to actually watch my 6 year old race.



Thanks. You would have been so proud of both of them if you had been there.




No comments:

Post a Comment