Sunday, October 10, 2010

#168 Similarities

The birthday party is over, the cake is all gone and the toys are all over the house. It was a wonderful day, but perhaps the parts that I’ll remember forever were the parts that reminded me of Eric.




On the way to the party the birthday boy asked if I would play a certain song from one of the cds in my car. Then he asked for me to play it again, and again. This is pretty routine for us, and it’s always the same song. I put up with it for as long as I can and then try to persuade him he should give another song a chance. Sometimes I’m successful and sometimes I’m not. Usually it’s just me and the kids in the car when this happens, but yesterday my husband was there too. He was the one who reminded me that this was how Eric listened to music. He would pick one song from an album and listen to it for hours or days on end, so much so that there are certain songs I still can’t hear today without groaning. He once went on a four hour road trip and only listened to four songs and only that many because he made himself change the selection every hour.



The party itself was at a place with lots of inflatable bounce houses for the kids to jump all over and wear themselves out. They did that for an hour then had a quick break for cake and juice and then spent about 45 minutes in the game room where they had their choice of video games, mini-golf, air hockey, skee-ball and more until it was time to go home.



The video game room reminded me of the birthday parties Eric used to have. There was a huge room of video games and we would play and trade games and play some more until it was time for cake, presents and goodbye. Eric would have loved this party.



On the way home, the birthday boy fell fast asleep in the car, another thing Eric would have done. Like my son, Eric played hard and dropped fast.



Technically we celebrated without Eric, but he was there with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment