Sunday, October 24, 2010

#181 NASCAR

Eric and my husband have taught me to have a more open mind.




When you grow up in the Northeast, it’s easy to forget there is a middle area of this country. If you remember there is something there, it’s hard to think of it as anything of value. It’s just “flyover country” with the possible exception of Chicago. I went to college just outside of Chicago, but still wasn’t really free of my prejudice for a long time.



Even after I met my husband (who is from Iowa) and we started dating, it was something I had to overcome; something petty and stupid, but there nonetheless. My husband and his family helped me to see beyond my regionality, and I am better person for it.



Eric never seemed to have this preconceived notion. Or any preconceived notions for that matter. One of his college roommates was from Oklahoma and he immediately developed a love of that state. He would try anything and everything, at least once.



I made a lot of fun of him when we went to a NASCAR race. For him it was something new to see and experience and if he didn’t like it, it didn’t need to be repeated.



Yesterday, my family and I went to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. My father-in-law is a huge NASCAR fan. It was actually a lot of fun. The cars were interesting and they had some neat interactive exhibits that the kids really enjoyed. For once, I was actually looking forward to going, even though it’s not something I know anything about.



It never hurts to expose yourself to new things and it’s much more fun if you go into it with an open mind.



Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment