Monday, October 4, 2010

#162 It's Vegas, baby!

I read an article in Sunday’s New York Times about the troubles Las Vegas is having. The recession has hit them hard and they are seeing no signs of recovery. Nevada and Las Vegas have an over 14% unemployment rate and fewer and fewer people seem willing to gamble away their hard earned money.




I have never been a gambler. It’s just not fun for me. If I’m going to give someone my money I’d rather get something in return, like a massage or a fine wine. I understand that some people get a thrill from it, my husband is one of them, but I have never really understood Las Vegas. If I want to see the Eiffel Tower, I want to see the real one, in Paris. Ditto for the pyramids and Venice. I never understood the allure of the city for Eric. But then again, I didn’t have to.



I wonder how Eric would be doing there now. Would he still be employed? Would he still be interested in learning about an industry that is sunk in the doldrums? He probably would be, he’d probably think he could single handedly turn it all around. And he might be right.



We’ll never know. And that makes me really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment