Friday, October 22, 2010

#180 Handwriting

Yesterday my husband and I were invited to my first grader’s school for a Writing Celebration, so of course we went. When we arrived my 6 year old met us at the door with a gleeful grin. He took us to his desk and showed me to a chair set up specifically for a reader. Then he read us his stories. They were fabulous. And I’m not biased at all. (nudge nudge wink wink) He wrote about taking a swim test to be allowed to go down the water slide at my parent’s pool this summer. He wrote about last year’s Halloween celebration and about his favorite stuffed animal that he sleeps with every night.




I couldn’t help but think there was something familiar about his work though. It wasn’t the subject matter; all of that was original and specific to him. It wasn’t the art work that beautifully illustrated his stories. It was the handwriting. It looked just like Eric’s. I always told Eric that I thought his handwriting was stuck in the third grade, but I think I was wrong. Either my 6 year old is very advanced (but of course!) or Eric’s handwriting was stuck at a first grade level.



I was going to try and find a sample to insert with this blog, but I haven’t had time yet, maybe I’ll be able to do that and add it later. Trust me though; penmanship was not Eric’s strong point.



I find it amazing how day after day there are always little things to remind me of Eric, no matter where I am or what I am doing. I hope that never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment