Tuesday, October 5, 2010

#163 Terror

Yesterday’s post was about Las Vegas and it’s replicas of famous world tourist sites. I expressed my desire to see the originals, in their original locations and my non-desire to see the Vegas interpretations. Although I might be changing my mind….




There is now a very non-specific terror alert about travel to Europe. It basically just says be careful and possibly avoid public transportation. Hmm. I’m glad I don’t have any trips scheduled to Europe right now. If I did, would I cancel? Would I go anyway? How can you know what to do with such a vague warning?



As far as I know there is no such alert about travel to Las Vegas. And the sites there are much closer together. Instead of taking a train or plane between Venice and Paris, you can take a cab. I don’t know, maybe you can even walk! Sounding any better? No, not to me either.



On September 11, 2001 Eric was in Riyadh on business. In order to get there he had to lie about his religion on his visa application. He hadn’t converted to Christianity yet and was still officially Jewish. He didn’t mind lying; I minded that he had to.



Religion has caused so much strife and pain and death in this world, it’s amazing it still has so many adherents. And yet so many people find peace and hope and comfort in it.



I will feel better when we no longer have to worry about terror alerts or lying about who we are and where we come from for any reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment