Friday, September 17, 2010

#145 You want to eat what??

My husband and I watched the conclusion of “Master Chef” last night. We watch this mainly because we love watching Gordon Ramsay, not because we’re that into food or cooking. Well, I’m not, my husband is a little more so. For those of you don’t know, this is a reality show in which amateur cooks from all over the country compete for the title of “Master Chef” which comes with $250,000 and a cookbook deal. The challenges ranged from the (supposedly) easy, like chopping onions, to very complex, like catering a wedding or catching a fish to then prepare for three renowned food critics.




The last two contestants standing were a computer guy and a 22 year old student from Mississippi. Their challenge was to create and cook an appetizer, entrée and dessert for Ramsay and the other two judges in two hours. It looked like a lot of work. The programmer made very complex, highbrow food including beef wellington. The young girl made down home southern dishes and ended up winning.



Her winning entrée? A variant of one of Eric’s favorite dishes, chicken fried steak. Yup. The New Jersey born and bred world travelling sophisticate loved chicken fried steak. He always did like to be contradictory. Technically the winning dish was southern fried chicken breast, but it was close enough.



I could never understand his love of this food, usually served with a “gravy” that looked like Elmer’s glue. I was relieved to see no sign of this gravy in the show last night.



I don’t know where Eric’s taste for this dish originated, but I do know that he always had an open mind and never condemned anything sight unseen. He appreciated more than most that just because you’ve never heard of something doesn’t mean it’s wrong or bad or undeserving. I’m still not going to eat chicken fried steak, but I will try to keep more of an open mind. But probably not with food….those of you who know me know that’s just not how I was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment