Tuesday, March 29, 2011

#329 Shelves and Mirrors

One of my favorite Eric stories took place when he was decorating his first apartment in San Diego. He had just graduated from college, bought his first car and road-tripped across the country with a friend. (After getting a ticket on the way home from the car dealership for driving the wrong way down a one-way street)




He was determined to have an adult apartment, not a kid just out of college apartment, so he was decorating. He wanted to hang shelves. He got them and the appropriate tools and proceeded to hang said shelves. When he was done he was disappointed, he thought they were a little too high. When we asked if he had measured he said yes, but he was standing on a box when he did so. Only Eric.



When my parents visited him later the shelves were still hanging, but the brackets were upside down or backwards or something I could never really picture. He apparently did that on purpose for aesthetic reasons. Again, only Eric.



Last winter my husband and I went to Tucson where I had a medical conference. We bought a mirror framed in painted tiles and punched tin. It took us a long time to get around to hanging it (it usually does), but we finally got it up on the wall. I decided the spot and left the actual hanging to my husband. It’s way too high. And not because he’s that tall or because he was standing on a box. Even though I can’t even see the top of my head when I walk by the mirror, I don’t want him to re-hang it. It hangs right outside the door to my bedroom and makes me remember Eric and smile every time I walk by.

1 comment: