Tuesday, March 8, 2011

#311 Thank You Notes

Lots of people send gifts for a new baby. This is wonderful and I always enjoy opening the packages and seeing the adorable tiny things inside. Less wonderful is writing all of the thank you notes. I don’t necessarily enjoy the process, but I think it’s really important. I know the people who get the thank you notes will appreciate them, and I want them to know how much it means that they thought of us.




I try to make each thank you note personalized and different. Not only is it boring for me to write the same note over and over again, but it’s more fun to get a thank you note that contains real information than a generic “Thank you for the gift”.



The first time I ever remember writing thank you notes was after my Bat Mitzvah. We had a huge party with lots of guests which meant lots of gifts and therefore lots of thank you notes. My mother asked me to write a certain number of notes everyday and I didn’t want to write any. I remember getting in trouble because I skipped out on my required notes for the day and went to a friend’s house instead. At the time, I didn’t understand the importance that my mom placed on the notes. I do now.



It seems that people are starting to teach kids to write thank you notes earlier now. When my sons go to birthday parties we get thank you notes from their friends. In turn, we also send them out after their birthday parties. Most kids’ party invitations now come with fill in the blank thank you notes. It’s not very personalized, but easy for kids and it teaches them the habit early.



One year, either for his birthday or Chanukah, Eric got my oldest son personalized stationery; an odd gift for a child who couldn’t read or write at the time. We made fun of Eric for the choice, but the stationery is really beautiful. I had forgotten all about it until I was looking for my stationery and opened the box. I think his is nicer than mine. After his next birthday his friends are going to get some really nice thank you notes. But I think we’ll save at least one as a reminder of Uncle Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment