Saturday, March 5, 2011

#308 Unexpected Tears

I had an Eric moment this morning. We were out to breakfast and my seven year old started talking about the Harry Potter movie. He said there was a part in the beginning that he really liked when they were all first at Hogwarts and were eating a meal. He then went on to quote the bit of dialogue that made him laugh. It was really sweet. And I cried.




I am a hormonal mess right now. I don’t cry easily and can usually manage to choke the tears back when they threaten to come. I don’t think my kids knew I was crying, but I had to cover my face and turn my head for a moment until I could get it all under control.



Eric used to do that. He would watch his favorite movies over and over until (and even after) he had pretty much the entire thing memorized. I remember this especially with the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies. I don’t know if that’s a boy thing, a kid thing or just an Eric thing, but it wasn’t anything I ever did. Viewing a movie once is usually enough for me, maybe twice if it’s really good.



Watching my son happily quote dialogue from a favorite movie just stopped me in my tracks. I’m starting to cry again just writing about it. I never would have thought that would affect me like that. And maybe it wouldn’t have if I hadn’t just had a baby a week ago and wasn’t a sea of hormones.



Either way, it’s amazing the things that bring the memories back. Sad as it makes me, I’m glad the memories are there and that they come back. I so wish Eric could see the people his nephews are turning into. Maybe somewhere he can.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about those tears! I cry at the littlest things that bring back memories of the kids when they were little. Isaac sent me a music video yesterday... it made me cry. And the movie thing... I think it might be a boy thing. Doug does it, Isaac does it, too. I'm like you, once is enough unless it's really good. The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz... pretty much could watch them every time they're on. Crying is a good thing! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete