Friday, March 25, 2011

#326 They're only things

During my maternity leave I have become an HGTV junkie. It doesn’t really matter what show is on, it’s pretty much always on at my house. My favorite show is “Selling New York” where they take you inside luxury Manhattan apartments. I actually have the DVR set to record that one. The others are kind of like junk romance novels. They fill the time and give me something to watch while I’m feeding or soothing the baby, but they take no effort and I don’t really care if I miss any.




Yesterday there was a show on featuring a brother and a sister who were racing each other to see who could become a homeowner first. The dynamic between the siblings was great. There was clearly a lot of competition, but there was also a lot of love and laughter. It made me think about when I was getting ready to buy my first house.



My husband and I were moving to Oklahoma where I was going to start my residency. My mom and brother and I pre-screened houses before my husband came out to look. Then we all did some more looking together. We had a great time. I love house-hunting anyway, it brings out the snoop in me (come on, you know you do it too) and it was fun to do it with Eric. In one house that hadn’t been redecorated since the 1960s he literally had us on the floor laughing with his send up of the décor. Even the realtor couldn’t resist him.



I was working at the eye institute where I would later be a resident during that time. One morning I was in the OR before meeting my mother, brother and the realtor. When I got to our meeting spot I realized that I hadn’t put my jewelry back on and I went to get it off of the ties of my scrub pants. It wasn’t there. My watch, wedding ring and engagement ring were gone. I felt sick.



Eric came back to the medical center with me and we searched through all of the OR garbage and laundry. We scoured every inch of the walkways and sidewalks. We finally recovered my watch and wedding ring at the lost and found. I never did get my engagement ring back.



The whole time as I was shaking and crying and afraid to call my husband. Eric kept telling me they were just things, it wasn’t a person. I knew he was right, but I was still really upset.



I would gladly give up all of my jewelry if I could have him back. Even the gorgeous replacement engagement ring that originally belonged to my grandmother. I wouldn’t even have to think about it. If only it were that easy.

1 comment:

  1. If only it were that easy. This road is difficult but we do it together.
    G

    ReplyDelete