Friday, March 4, 2011

#307 Expectations

Throughout the life of this blog I’ve talked a lot about what a crazy, mischievous, creative and non-conformist person Eric was. He was like that his entire life, starting as an infant when he would throw his head back as the person who carried him would walk through a doorway, inevitably hitting the door jamb. This started a life of hard-headedness. He and my father would literally head wrestle each other, and Eric was also incredibly stubborn. I see a little of him in my middle child who insists he is right even when it is obvious that he is wrong. (“Mommy, the sun is down.” “No honey, it’s still light out” “No, it’s night, the sun is down. Etc…)




Although I loved Eric dearly, he was difficult to parent and I have expressed in this blog already that I hope my new baby doesn’t take after his uncle too closely. I don’t need to find out from strangers that he found his way out of the house and onto a busy street or to have him try and blow up a friend’s house with a gasoline volcano. Still I hope he’ll have some of his uncle’s traits, like his sense of humor and his sweet and generous nature. Too bad we don’t get to pick and choose.



Although we’ve named him after his uncle, I want Andrew to be his own person. I don’t want him to feel pressure to live up to his uncle. He is perfect as he is, however that turns out to be. It might already be too late for that message though. The other day, at less than a week old, my husband was carrying him through a doorway and he threw his head back. He didn’t hit the door jamb, but give him a little more time and strength and he might….



Uh oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment