Saturday, March 12, 2011

#315 Self Soothing

When I was little I used to suck the three middle fingers on my left hand and play with my ear lobe with my right hand. My parents called it the operator position. Of course my kids will never understand why they called it that since they will have no idea what a phone operator was…




When my oldest was born he would never take a pacifier. Pretty early on he found the first two fingers of his left hand and while he was sucking those he would twirl his hair with his right hand. It had an amazing similarity to “the operator position” and just shows how powerful genetics can be. He has mostly grown out of doing this, but I’d bet that sometimes, late at night, those fingers find a way to his mouth.



My middle son was a pacifier baby and oh how I loved it. He went everywhere with a pacifier clipped to his clothes and all it took to soothe him was to place it in his mouth. It was also fairly easy to break him of the habit. You can take away a pacifier; it’s harder to take away fingers.



I would like my youngest son to be a pacifier baby. I am pushing it every chance I get. Sometimes he seems to like it and other times he doesn’t, but in all fairness he’s two weeks old. He doesn’t know what he wants. He does seem to trying really hard to be a thumb sucker though. Several times I’ve caught him either sucking on it or trying to get it into his mouth. Unfortunately his coordination stinks and he loses it about as soon as he finds it, but if he persists, he’ll get better.



Eric was a thumb sucker. While sucking his thumb he would hook his first finger around his nose and rub. He rubbed it so much he created a divot that my mom was afraid would become permanent, or at the very least infected. I know she tried band aids and everything else short of a straight jacket to get him to leave his nose alone. I can’t remember if she finally cured him of it or if he just grew out of thumb sucking, but there was no lasting damage done.



I’d be ok if this child sucks his thumb. I can live without the nose divot though.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, how beautiful! What a wonderful gift! I must laugh as I just wrote about Dan and his ear twisting. I also laughed because my daughter found her two middle fingers at about 6 weeks. The pictures I still have are as precious to me as these are to you.
    May your day be a diamond.

    ReplyDelete