Wednesday, December 29, 2010

#247 Air Travel

I spent the whole day on airplanes or in airports today. I’m not complaining though, all of my flights were on time, I had time to eat during a layover and my luggage all made it. I really feel for all of the people who were stranded because of the blizzard in the northeast and I’m grateful that I wasn’t.




Airports are funny places. It’s kind of like real life is suspended while you are there, although a little less so now that we’re all so connected with our smart phones. I can remember travelling with Eric and my parents and everything was an adventure. From the skycap to the soda we were allowed to have on the plane (the whole can!) to the plastic wings and the glimpse inside the cockpit we would get on the way out. We even enjoyed exploring the terminal. Everything was an adventure with Eric.



I remember one time when he was in high school we were going on a family vacation and had just gone through passport control when this cute blond girl called his name. We stopped and chatted and then she moved on with her family and we went to our gate. We asked Eric who she was and he was totally clueless. He thought maybe she was in his math class. Typical Eric, totally oblivious.



Last Spring Katie went on a vacation to London during her spring break and Eric wanted to pick her up at the airport. He drove out there and then wasn’t sure where to go. So he called my parents in Savannah, GA from the Las Vegas airport to find out if there was an international terminal and if so where it might be. Again, typical Eric, call someone else so they can get online instead of parking and asking when you are already at the airport. I’m sure it made sense to him at the time. And I’m pretty sure he found Katie.



So although I didn’t do much with my day besides come home, at least the trip triggered some fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment