Friday, December 24, 2010

#242 The mind of a 4 year old

My husband and I got up at the incredibly early time of 3:30 this morning and made it to Des Moines before lunchtime so now we are back together with our kids and ready for our Iowa Christmas.




I just took my 4 year old up for a nap and he asked me if I missed him when I was still at home. I said of course I did. Then he asked me if I wanted him to die. I made him repeat himself because I wasn’t sure what he had said, but sure enough that’s what he asked me. I said of course not, I didn’t want him to die, I wanted him to live and grow and be happy and healthy. Then he asked me when Uncle Eric died and told me that he missed Uncle Eric. Then he turned on the CD of Christmas Carols and happily jumped into bed.



4 year olds are unpredictable. Sometimes they say the most random things. For example, we took the boys to see the musical “Annie” in October and just 2 weeks ago he asked me why she sang that she loved tomorrow. I know things are just swirling around in his head and he’s trying to make sense of everything. Sometimes he can verbalize what he’s thinking about and sometimes he can’t and sometimes he doesn’t want to.



I don’t know where his thoughts about death came from this afternoon. I don’t even know if he truly understands death, though I doubt it. I am glad, though, that he still thinks about Uncle Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment