Saturday, December 4, 2010

#222 Hunka Junka Unka

My husband and I took the boys to IHOP for breakfast this morning. In retrospect, this was a poor decision. Neither of the boys was at the top of the behavior scale. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. It made me think about trips to IHOP when I was a kid though. Of course then, IHOP was cool slang for the name of the restaurant which was actually The International House of Pancakes. I remember when my uncle first taught us to say IHOP, boy did we feel special.




My kids each ordered different “face” pancakes. My youngest got the healthier version, the “Create a Face” which is a pancake with a banana smile, strawberry eyes and a tube of strawberry yogurt you can use to decorate the face. My oldest ordered the “Funny Face” which has whip cream and chocolate chips for the smile and nose and maraschino cherry eyes. This is what Eric and I would always get.



I think the same trip to IHOP when we learned the insider’s way to say it, Eric and I got all hopped up on the sugar and probably behaved even worse than my kids did today. I can just remember chanting over and over, “Hunka Junka Unka (Uncle’s name here)”. I’m sure the other patrons really appreciated it. I’m sure my uncle did too. Actually, he probably started it.



There are a lot of memories out there just waiting to be triggered. So while I’m still not happy with my kids’ behavior, I’m glad this memory was dredged out of the backlog. Too bad my kids never got to call their uncle “Hunka Junka Unka Eric”.

No comments:

Post a Comment