Saturday, November 20, 2010

#208 Sleep-overs

My oldest son had his first sleep-over last night. At our house. And it actually went pretty well. He and his friend had been pestering me for weeks about having a sleep-over so I finally overcame my trepidation and set it up. I feel like we have reached a huge milestone. My son is growing up.




My husband picked up the boys from school and they played at our house all afternoon. We attempted to put them to bed around 7:15, our normal bed time, but knew they wouldn’t fall asleep even close to then. The hardest part was keeping my youngest out of the room with the older boys. Normally my two boys share a room and this might have been the first night the little one can remember that they didn’t. All boys were asleep in the proper locations by 10:00 and I thought that was pretty good. I know the older boys told stories and played and goofed off and did everything they were supposed to do at a sleep-over.



This morning they had waffles for breakfast and the other child was just picked up to go home. Both boys were sad at their parting, which tells me our adventure was a success. That and the fact that I got to sleep through the night.



I know I had plenty of sleep-overs as a child and my friends and I delighted in seeing how late we could stay up. I’m not sure what we did with all that time, but it wasn’t a good sleepover unless we could barely keep our eyes open the next day.



Eric, on the other hand, actually slept at his sleep-overs; something I never understood. I mean, what’s the point of having a friend come spend the entire night at your house if you are just going to sleep?? Eric always fell asleep early and I guess he felt no need to change for a sleep-over. I wonder if his guests felt short-changed.



Oh well, one more milestone down for boy number one. Many many more to go for him and the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment