Monday, November 1, 2010

#189 Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! So I’m a day late, sue me. I hope you all had as good a day as we did. Woody, Buzz Lightyear, my husband and I had pizza at our neighborhood Halloween party then the boys (husband included) trolled for candy while I manned our front porch and handed out the candy. The weather was beautiful and the costumes were plentiful and creative. It was a great night. My four year old started to panic at the end of the party that he was going to miss the trick-or-treating, but other than that it all went smoothly.




It made me think of Halloweens of my youth. My kids don’t get to wear their costumes to school the way Eric and I did. We had a Halloween parade at school and everyone’s parents came to watch. Now there are too many PC worries over celebrating this Pagan holiday and the kids don’t get to do that. I think that’s sad. I mean seriously, is anyone teaching their kids the Pagan symbolism or are we just dressing up, eating candy and having a good time? It’s a good excuse for an annual day of excess.



My mother always made our Halloween costumes. One year I was Tinkerbell with a lovely silver, shimmery dress she found in a thrift shop and glitter fairy dust to sprinkle over everyone’s heads. My mother dressed up as Captain Hook complete with hook, ruffled pirate shirt and hat, and Eric refused to dress up as Peter Pan. Typical. He was a ghost.



I can also remember many years of Eric being an army man. He had a camouflage outfit that he wore for years, (and not just on Halloween) I think my mom just kept letting the pants out, along with my grandfather’s old army jacket and an army helmet he picked up somewhere along the way. My kids have the helmet in their toy basket now. Just something else we took from his apartment.



I never celebrated Halloween as an adult with Eric, but I could see him getting into it. He either did something all the way or not at all. And he would definitely have enjoyed celebrating vicariously through his nephews. So I’ll leave you with them in all their Toy Story glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment