Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#198 Grammar

A few blogs ago I wrestled with my soul and decided to sell out the blog to get some free holiday cards from Shutterfly. I actually had to do it twice, here and here, because I got too anxious and didn’t wait for the instructions the first time.




The second blog apparently met the qualifications for earning the cards because this is the title of the email I got from Shutterfly.



“Shutterfly: Here's your 50 Free Holiday Cards!”



Does anyone else have a problem with this? Does anyone else have such a problem with this that they no longer want the free cards?



I’m embarrassed for them that nobody caught this grammatical error before sending it out to probably every blogger who has so far responded to their promotion.



My mother taught 2nd and 3rd grade before she had kids and is a huge stickler for grammar. She passed that along to me and it’s a passion that my husband also shares. (Don’t get him started on unnecessary apostrophes…)



Eric never cared. It didn’t bother him if words were spelled right or if sentences were grammatically correct. He was a lot more at home in this world of text messaged abbreviations than I am. I can’t bring myself to text “R U there?” I have to spell it all out. I don’t know why. I understand that the end result is still communication, but I don’t want to contribute to the decline of civilization.



I’ll probably still go for the free cards, after all free is free. But I won’t do it with the same carefree heart that Eric would be able to do it with. That error really bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment