Friday, November 12, 2010

#200 Last words

I don’t know what Eric’s last words were. I don’t even know what his last words to me were.




I’ve always thought that last words as portrayed in books, movies and television are dramatized and overdone. It’s not like Eric knew those words were going to be his last, so it’s not like he would have attached any significance to them. Still, I’m curious what they were.



I know we didn’t end our last phone call with an “I love you”. We did that most of the time, but not always, and still I regret not doing it then. How could I know it would be the last chance I would have to tell him?



The two last comments that I will always remember (truly last they were not, but close) were one that he said to me and one that he said to my mother.



To me, he paraphrased Fiddler on the Roof and sang to me “Chaveleh, Chaveleh, how could you let me run the half-marathon little Chaveleh”. To my parents who were hosting a previously scheduled catered dinner party, he said something like, “So you are eating and drinking while Rome is burning here.” Both are such typical Eric comments.



Remember at this point we all thought he was going to be ok. None of us knew what was coming.



I like to remember him being funny and brave. It’s too painful to think about him being any other way. I believe he had no idea what happened, that it all happened while he was asleep and unaware. I can’t bear for it to be any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment