Sunday, November 14, 2010

#202 Piano recital

My oldest son had his piano recital yesterday. He has been taking piano lessons since he was 4 ½ years old in a Suzuki music program. I decided to put him in the lessons for several reasons. I want him to be a well rounded person and think he should have some art or music in his life to balance out the sports. I also just want to expose him to lots of things so he can figure out what he likes. Not insignificant in my decision making was a comment Eric made to me once.




Eric went to Harvard undergrad and once commented to me that he thought the students in his year who had Suzuki music training seemed better able to cope in certain situations. He thought their problem solving skills were better and that they approached things in a different, better way than he did. So when the opportunity arose, I took it.



My son has done well. He really enjoys it, and though we probably don’t practice as much as we should, he can play really well when he applies himself. Today’s recital contained some mistakes, but he rallied and kept going and finished strong. It’s always easier to play the piece when you are not on stage.



Unfortunately I think I ruined the video of the recital by threatening to kill my younger son. He had been very poorly behaved the whole time. He was talking and changing seats and generally being disruptive. We don’t make him stay in the auditorium for the whole recital, but my son was playing 5th and we thought he should be able to make it that long. That way both parents get to see the performance and then Daddy takes the little guy out until everyone else is done. My little guy has already proven himself capable of sitting through theatrical performances without a problem, so I don’t think our expectations were unrealistic.



As my older son got up to play and I had the camera out recording it, my younger son kept putting his program in front of my face so I couldn’t see anything. I was furious. Immediately after my older son was done performing my husband took the little guy out for a LONG time-out. He also didn’t get to go out for ice cream with us afterwards.



Our music lessons are through a local university and so the recitals aren’t just piano students. Today we also had flautists and one vocalist. As I was finally calming down from my anger with the little guy, it was the singer’s turn to perform. One of the songs she sang was “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” from Phantom of the Opera. It’s a song I know and like and I was enjoying her rendition when my older son leaned over and said, “Mom, doesn’t this make you think of Uncle Eric?” And, yes, yes it did. And I almost cried right there, but instead held my son’s hand and was thankful that Eric is as present in his mind as he is in mine.



Eric was there with us today in many ways. He was there as part of the inspiration for the lessons in the first place, he was there (I’m sure) in my younger son’s behavior, and he was there, as always, in our memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment