Wednesday, August 11, 2010

#108 Hindsight



What would you do if you knew you had one last holiday, or dinner or night with a loved one?

None of knew that last Thanksgiving would be the last time we would all be together. But still, I wouldn’t change a thing. We gathered at my parent’s house as usual. For the holiday we had the extended family including my grandmother, uncle and aunt, but for the weekend it was just my parents, Eric and his girlfriend, and me, my husband and kids. And it was all great.

Because that is usually our annual gathering, we exchange Chanukah gifts and the gift giving was spectacular that year. I have already written about that in other blogs (#27) (#2), but that led to wonderful light saber fights in the back yard between Eric and my kids.

Eric also gave my kids Star Wars footie pajamas. Apparently he wanted to give us all footie pajamas, but Katie, wisely, held him back. Thank you, Katie. One of the best moments, however, was when Eric left the table after dinner one night and came back in his own footie pajamas. I laughed so hard I almost fell off of my chair. It was so Eric and so unexpected and so wonderful.



If we had known it was the last time we would all be together it wouldn’t have been nearly as much fun. We would have been morose, counting down the hours, trying to make it worthwhile and memorable and probably failing.

I would give anything to have more time with Eric, but I’m so glad that the time I did have with him was as amazing as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment