Tuesday, August 3, 2010

#100 Milestones

Wow, triple digits. I made it to 100 blog posts about Eric, my grief, my life, and random stuff that I somehow weave together into (hopefully) coherent missives that I then send out to you. You, in turn, have been great about letting me know what you think, sharing your Eric stories, and helping me heal. This blog has become a place of community for me and I thank you.

Like reaching the number 100, there are several numerical milestones in a person’s life. Early on there is the excitement of reaching double digits and standing on the threshold of the teen years. Eight years later comes the ability to vote and fight for your country, with the sting of still not being able to drink legally.

Finally comes 21, usually anticlimactic, and thoroughly downhill from there. After that it’s the round numbers, 30, 40, 50 and so on that are so thoroughly depressing. I guess Eric will be spared most of that angst.

Like most things in his life, Eric had a different take on aging. Birthdays that most of us pass over with nary a thought are the ones that I remember. If you recall, Eric was a New Years Baby, the first baby born in our county in the year 1977. I think my parents got a free pizza for that accomplishment. Because of this, we were usually together on Eric’s birthday, even through college, since it was during vacation.

I specifically remember the year he turned 23. It was New Year’s Day 2000. We had just enjoyed a great vacation to Cambodia and celebrated the New Year’s singing karaoke on a boat in the South China Sea. Incredible. After we rang in the New Year Eric put on a song for all of us. I will leave you with that.


http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s0.ilike.com/play%23blink-182:What%27s%2BMy%2BAge%2BAgain%253F:12236:s15439.15722.13606697.1.2.78%252Cstd_f02d94e0263a47a19dabec7d910e5e6b&sa=X&ei=mwlYTJmpHeHnnQeAqPCsCQ&ved=0CBMQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNFZMg1cSsO9xRAxTa9M9RyjGuBedg

No comments:

Post a Comment