Sunday, August 29, 2010

#126 Poor World

What would Eric be doing this weekend? Would he be going for a run or a hike? Would he and Katie be away for a romantic weekend? They had talked about an August wedding, would it have been this weekend? Maybe he would have been visiting us, or working on a school or work assignment. Maybe he would have just been chilling out at his apartment complex’s pool.


It’s so wrong that he’s not doing any of these things.


Here I am getting on with life, planning schedules and birthday parties and dinner menus and he’s not anywhere. He’s not even pissing me off.


The world is so much emptier without him and it’s so sad that so much of it doesn’t even know. Eric left his mark on many, many people, but so many others missed out. And they’ll never even know how much poorer they are because of that. When I was little I used to wonder how my parents could have possibly waited five years before having me. I couldn’t understand how they didn’t miss me, but you can’t miss what you don’t know.


I’m doing my best to keep his memory alive and spread the word, but it’s not the same. It’s a poor, poor substitute. But I guess it will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. I keep trying to write something here to say how much it meant to me to read it, but my words fall short.

    ReplyDelete