Saturday, May 22, 2010

#27 'Tis the season

We are entering gift season in my family. From May through July we have Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, my parent’s anniversary, my anniversary, my birthday and each of my parent’s birthdays. It’s hard to find good gifts for so many occasions, all in a row. Eric and I used to do this together. We might have separate gifts for some occasions and go in together on gifts for others. Even if we ended up with all separate gifts, we always talked about them. I really miss that. Especially when it comes to gifts for my Dad—what to get the man who needs nothing???

Our last cooperative gift giving was at Chanukah last year. My family always gets together over Thanksgiving so we exchange Chanukah gifts then. Last year was a banner year. I’ve already detailed in another post what the kids got, and it was massive, but the adult gifts were good too.

Eric (with the help of his girlfriend) got us a wonderful, practical gift that we really appreciated and have already used. 10 hours of babysitting. Way better than the subscription to the erudite, intellectual quarterly brick of a magazine he gave me last year. I’m glad he thinks I’m that smart, but I never had time to read it. (Thanks Katie!)

He also gave all of us typical Eric gifts; the glass tops from slot machines that were no longer being used. Something everyone wants and needs. I found a great use for the two he gave us….I gave them away. They are making two little boys in upstate NY very happy.

Katie also helped us with Eric’s gift. We had a bobble-head doll made to look like him. Katie got us the photos and a custom bobble-head designer did the rest. It turned out well and I think he got a real kick out of it. It’s now on my mantle.

Together, Eric and I got my Mom a Kindle. She loves to read so I thought this would be a perfect gift. Eric was worried about the technical aspects, (see blog #14) but I have one and it’s really simple so I thought it would be ok. Turns out I should have listened to him. She does like it, but I get a lot of phone calls about how to use it.

My Dad got the best gift of all. I actually found the gift, but Eric made it unforgettable. We got my Dad got the Uroclub. The ultimate golf accessory for the man who already has everything. Stuck out on the links with an irresistible urge to urinate? The Uroclub is for you. It looks like a golf club but the top of the handle screws off to reveal a reservoir for your excess fluids. It comes complete with a privacy towel you can clip to your belt loops so no one gets an unwanted view. The product itself is pretty funny, but Eric’s demonstration made it immortal. I wish we had that on video except none of us would have been able to hold the camera straight, we were laughing too hard.

We did actually get my dad a real gift, a golf shirt that he wanted, but the Uroclub made the holiday.

I don’t want to be without Eric’s acumen in choosing and giving gifts. There are so many things I miss about him, but right now, I could really use his help with Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment