Thursday, August 5, 2010

#102 On writing

This blank white page can be very intimidating. Every day it’s here, plain white with a flashing black cursor daring me to defile it with type. Every day it’s a challenge to come up with something new, something informative, something entertaining, something about Eric. Sometimes I come prepared with an idea or a story and then it’s not nearly so daunting. Other times, like today, I don’t have a concrete idea, just an urge to write, to fulfill my commitment, to not let my readers down.

I know Eric knew what this felt like, only maybe not on a daily basis. Eric, in addition to everything else he did, was a writer; long before I was a writer. In fact, I can credit Eric with making me a writer since this is pretty much my first writing project since college. Eric had written a science fiction novel which he was trying to get published. I haven’t read it, but since we have his computer, I probably can anytime I want. I’m not sure I want to go there…what if it’s really bad? Then again what if it’s really good and I should continue the effort of trying to publish it? That’s a decision for another day.

Eric was also working on a book of poetry. This was dedicated to his girlfriend and was to be a compendium of poems he wrote while she was away on vacation and he was missing her. What girl would not want this? Even if the poetry was terrible? He was working with a photographer friend of his for illustrations and I have seen a mock-up of some of the pages. I’m not really a poetry person, so I’m not going to pass judgment on the writing, but as a romantic effort, it can’t be topped. (except maybe by the dress he designed for her…)

I just realized I’ve almost filled up today’s blank white page. I guess sometimes the key is just to write and see what comes out. Here’s hoping for more inspiration tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment