Thursday, August 26, 2010

#123 Separation

My parents are out of the country on vacation. They have always loved to travel and have been many places that I would like to see. This time they are going some places I have actually been. They are reprising the honeymoon cruise my husband and I took to Turkey and Greece, albeit with more detail and in more luxury than we did.

I’m glad my parents are getting away and doing something they love to do. Still, it feels weird. When my mom was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago we started checking in with each other everyday, even if it was only for a minute or two. We were just starting to relax this habit when Eric died. Now we talk at least once everyday, sometimes two or three times. We don’t always have much to say, it’s just nice to hear her voice and reaffirm that we are ok.

I miss our daily conversations. I’m also a little more worried than I usually am when they go away. I’m not seriously worried, I just think about what could happen a little bit more than I have in the past. The world is not the benign place I once thought it was. I’m sure they will have a wonderful safe trip and I can’t wait to hear about it in three weeks when they get back….but still…..

I think its reflex in the wake of a tragedy to hold your loved ones closer. Just don’t hold them so close that they (and you) can’t breathe. That’s not healthy for anyone.

Oh, and nobody go rob their house now that I told you they’re away. Boy would I be in trouble if that happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment