Friday, August 20, 2010

#117 Seasonal anxiety

Fall is fast approaching. With it, come all the normal end of summer anxieties. My oldest is starting first grade in a new school (thank you school redistricting), so we have to figure all of that out. My youngest will be at the same pre-school so that, at least, will be easy. Both have new activities and we’ll have to figure out the new routines. Both of my boys have Fall birthdays so I have parties to plan and gifts to give.

Along with all of that, my family has a few more reasons to be anxious about the onset of Autumn. Three years ago, my mother-in-law was diagnosed, in the Fall, with a rare form of lymphoma. Luckily, it is treatable. Although she had a rocky course at first, she seems to be doing well, and we fervently hope she continues to do so.

Two years ago at this time, my mother was diagnosed with lymphoma. What are the odds? Hers is a different form from my mother-in-law and is curable and at least as of now, she is cured. It took a lot of chemo and radiation, but my mom and her curls are back to their usual form.

Last summer at about this time my grandmother fell and broke her hip. I thought that was going to be our fall for the Fall. It was not to be. My grandmother survived subsequent pneumonia and rehab, and is now doing quite well (after another bought of pneumonia written about earlier) in an assisted living facility.

Just when we thought we were safe, when the Fall was almost over and we already had one family emergency to our season, we got the call about Eric.

So if I seem a little more anxious and out of sorts than seems called for this time of year, I think you’ll understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment