Thursday, August 19, 2010

#116 Seersucker


I know I have written at least two blogs about Eric’s fashion. For an overall well put together guy, he made some odd choices. Yesterday a good friend of mine reminded me of another one that I have not shared yet.

I also write a lot about Thanksgiving, the last one in particular and all of them in general. I hope you will forgive me, but that’s when my whole family is together and last Thanksgiving was the last time. So I’m probably going to write about it a lot more, and specifically in this blog.

My family does not do a football Thanksgiving. In fact, until my husband joined our family, the television might not get turned on at all on Thanksgiving. We don’t eat in our sweats and then go to watch the game. We dress up and have cocktails and then sit around a beautiful dining room table set with china and crystal and eat a fabulous meal. We go around the table and each of shares why we are thankful that year. Then we hang out some more after the meal.

Eric’s fashion choice for last Thanksgiving was a bit…well…unusual. He showed up in a seersucker suit. Yes seersucker. According to Wikipedia, seersucker was popular in the British Colonial period. When it started being worn in the US, it was popular suit material for Southern gentlemen. It’s apparently good in the heat. Later it was the fabric of choice for the poor and nurses uniforms until undergraduates appropriated the look in a form of “reverse snobbery”.

At least in my mind the image of seersucker is linked with that of the Southern gentleman. As my friend here who reminded me of the suit put it, every Southern lawyer needs a seersucker suit, to which I asked, where is yours oh lawyer friend???

I don’t know why Eric made that choice, but he was always into things that are new and different….at least to him. And he did have a law degree… I’ll leave you with a picture and you can decide if it was fashion forward or fashion faux-pas.


No comments:

Post a Comment