Wednesday, August 18, 2010

#115 Shared compassion

I was just given a bookmark by a co-worker who recently lost a granddaughter in a tragic and completely unexpected fashion. She and I have spoken, briefly, in the past about our shared grief and I had invited her to read the blog. I love that she reciprocated. This is what the bookmark says.

“When you remember me it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us…it means that even after I died, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart. For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost…”

From Whistling in the Dark by Frederick Beuchner

She was given the bookmark at a support group for those who have had children die. What a wonderful thing.

I have not sought out any support groups or therapy or spiritual healing methods. While those are right for others, I don’t feel they are right for me. I have created my own support group here. But, still, I love that this beautiful sentiment was shared with me.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment