Sunday, August 15, 2010

#112 Movie magic

Last night I was in the kitchen with the kids as they were eating dinner. Over “Dad’s family famous strombolis” (so named by my oldest son and good enough to live up to the name) they were quoting lines from Toy Story 2. The Toy Story movies are favorites in my household and we hear the iconic lines, such as Buzz’s “To infinity and beyond!” many times a day. Last night my 6 year old taught my 3 year old a scene from Toy Story 2 and they took turns playing each character for pretty much the whole dinner. It was not a long scene and frankly it got a little boring and repetitive, but was still pretty amusing.

Here is what I heard:

6 yo “If the boot fits...”

3 yo “Say that again!”

6 yo “If the boot fits...” (with enough diction to cause spitting this time)

3 yo “Ok cowboy, YAHHHH!”

6 yo “Don’t think just because you’re a girl I’m going to take it easy on you!”

Then repeat with them switching parts. I have to say they are pretty good actors, the feeling was definitely there.

It reminded me of how Eric used to watch movies. At one point I think he knew every line to Star Wars and the first Indiana Jones movie. He would watch them over and over again. He was always more into movies than I was, for me one viewing was enough, for him there was never enough. My kids, like Eric, watch their favorite movies over and over again.

I like the novelty of a new story. I want to watch it unfold and see what’s going to happen and of course I’m disappointed if I can figure it out before the end of the movie. Then I’m done and ready to move on to the next one. Eric and my boys view movies differently; they like to relive their favorite parts over and over, apparently even when the movie is not playing.

Although I may get sick of hearing the same 2 second scene over and over and over, I’m glad my boys get so much out of movies. And I’m glad it reminded me of Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment