Friday, April 22, 2011

#346 Accidental Song

I am doing a lot of walking these days trying to lose the baby weight. Yesterday my big boys had Tae Kwon Do and there is an indoor track literally steps from the door to their classroom, so the baby and I did laps. I was listening to music as I walked and a great song came on that I hadn’t heard in a while. I am a singer and there are certain songs that I find almost irresistible, the sound almost flies out of me before I am aware. It just feels that good to sing these songs. And it almost happened on the track yesterday. I caught myself just barely in time and my first thought was how Eric and I would laugh if I had actually belted out a song. It made me laugh and smile to myself. Anyone else on the track who saw me must have thought I was crazy. But I didn’t care. Because Eric wouldn’t have cared. He never cared what anyone thought.




I can remember Eric in a pool at a hotel in Tel Aviv with flippers, snorkel and mask. I was 16 at the time and thought he was the height of dorkiness; I was embarrassed to be related to him, but he never cared.



Thinking about him made me smile as I walked; it actually put a bounce in my step. And after the other two walkers left the track and I was on the section that was behind the classroom where the kids were and no one else could see, I did a few dance steps to another great song. I’m not as brave as Eric, but I’m trying.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, you are a singer, too?!?!?! That is fabulous. Your walk reminds me of Dan playing Fred and Ethel with my daughter. That same kind of public courage.
    I hope your steps are light today!
    G

    ReplyDelete