Thursday, April 14, 2011

#342 Mourning Again

I was wrong. So was the hospice nurse. Grandma was right; she didn’t have much time left. She passed away in her sleep early this morning.




There was a change yesterday. She talked and ate even less than she had been doing. She was scared. She was given medication to help relieve her anxiety and my mother stayed with her all day. I hope the final transition was gentle. I hope she is at peace. I will miss her.



This is so different from losing Eric. It still hurts, but it was her time. She knew it, and she got to say goodbye. She would not have wanted to linger without control over her bodily functions; she was embarrassed enough that she needed oxygen.



Goodbye Grandma. I love you. I hope somewhere you are with Grandpa and Eric and your sisters and everyone else that you have loved and lost. We’ll miss you, but we’ll be ok. Thank you for everything.

3 comments:

  1. Liz, it is different but it is the same. It is still painful and it opens up old feelings. I am glad your mother was with her. I am glad she passed in her sleep. I hope you are able to be at peace soon. My heart is with you.
    Gael

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, but glad she is pain free and at peace! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers...hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-I am a friend of Steph Mayer Gunderson. Steph and I have been friends almost since birth. I remember Eric so well-he came to visit with Steph. I have pictures of him holding my friend's baby. He was very funny and kind-He also brought out a wonderful sense of adventure in Steph. I know grief intimately, since my mother had cancer most of my life. I also had a very bad head injury and am essentially rebuilding my life. I feel like I understand, and this blog is gorgeous. He would be so honored and happy that you did this. Much love. Jessa Moore

    ReplyDelete